Thursday, September 23, 2010

CSB #1:Eruption of Iceland volcano fires study on volcanoes effect on global warming

Eyjafjallajokull
Definitions:
PETM: Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maxium - a period of time 55 million years ago when temperatures were unusually warm 
plume: debris spouted from a volcano during explosion


Summary:
On April 14, 2010, the supposedly dormant volcano in Iceland, Eyjafjallajokull, spouted debris miles into the sky. By examining the lava, the Icelandic Meteorological Office discerned that this volcano erupted intensely, with a burst of lava and a cloud of plume. The colossal clouds produced fired questions of the effect of volcanoes on global warming. 
     To explore the effect of volcanoes on the environment, scientists went back to the PETM when dinosaurs went extinct. They examined zircon crystals in cores samples and dated them to the period when the PETM began. Scientists concluded that these crystals were formed by underwater volcano eruptions; these eruptions could react with carbon rich sedimentary and produce methane, a greenhouse gas. Following eruptions around the world will be inevitable, and if they truly contribute to global warming, another period with the conditions of the PETM can commence. 


Discussion: 
This topic stood out to me because it is amazing how a simple topic like volcanoes can effect global warming. This is unique from other causes to global warming because volcanoes are completely natural with no artificial elements or influences. It is inevitable that volcanoes around the world are going to explode and if we want to reduce their impact on the government, we have to find innovative methods around it. One challenge in coping with a volcano is the plume and other particles that it produces. This can malfunction equipment such as probes and prevent planes or other machines from coming near. 


Questions: 
How do ash particles obstruct systems of transportation such as planes?
Do the molecule structures of debris from the volcano resemble in anyway the molecules of greenhouse gases?


Resources:
Article:
"Iceland's Eruption." Science Online. Facts on File, n.d. Web. 23 Sept. 2010.
     <http://www.fofweb.com/Science/default.asp>



Picture
http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/galleries/images/55841/500x400/icelands-eyjafjallajokull-volcano-lava-fired.jpg




  













3 comments:

  1. Rahul, I think this a really great article, which can be better with a few minor changes. I really like your summary in that it is concise and leaves the reader thinking about what will happen if another PETM commemces. I also really like your discussion because you talk about other problems that a volcano eruption can create, like malfunctions in technology. The only changes I think you should make are that in your discussion instead of saying how we should find ways to prevent the volcanoes from affecting the environment, you say that we should find ways to prevent the volcanoes from affecting the government; in addition, your discussion does not talk too much about Global Warming or the possibility of entering another PETM, which I think that article talks more about. Overall, I think this is a really good article with a great picture, nice definitions, and a strong summary and discussion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rahul, I like your post and article choice. I really liked the way you take the reader through the steps of the scientists as they investigated the volcano. Also, the high level of detail accurately describes the scene to the reader. Nice work on that. However, your discussion should analyze all the points you made in the summary, such as explaining exactly why another PETM coud happen. The reader could get lost by the end. Also, it seems like there are a few words missing that could help the sentences flow better. Overall, I think you did a really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I am not surprised that a volcano could cause so much problems to the environment. Since a volcano spews huge amounts of ash, or poisonous gas, it does not seem strange that it could cause all sorts of damage. However, I agree that a volcano's eruption can cause many problems to the earth, but the part that says we should reduce their impact on the government does not really make sense.

    ReplyDelete